- Go to https://console.firebase.google.com/
- Select the existing project which you might have created during android app setup by following these steps
- Click on Add App
- Select the Web App
- Give you web app a name – for your reference
- And click on Register App button
- Copy the script code in the next step (just the selected one in below snapshot)
- And paste it to Firebase Config box in Web Push Notifications -> Account Settings tab
We have recently launched Push Notification support for custom post types in our AndroApp WordPress Plugin.
What is Custom Post Type?
Before we tell more about our changes let us see what are custom post types?
Let’s say you have a quotes website than you can create a custom post type quote, similar to post OR page. This will help you with SEO with quote in every url OR you might want to create different post types to segregate the Posts for various reasons.
You can use this custom post type UI plugin to create a new custom post type, once you do that you will get the option to add new posts for that custom post type in wordpress admin panel.
For example, i created quotes as custom post type and i see this in my admin panel
When you upgrade AndroApp plugin to 19.01 or more, you shall also see push notifications for custom post types, head over to AndroApp->Account Settings tab to manage this behavior.
You can select the post types for which you don’t want to send push notifications
- Apple Store charges $100 per year. which is not economical for most of our clients.
- It is very difficult to test IOS apps, you can’t install directly with a link, thus we can’t share the app before our client go through various complex steps to give us the required files to generate their app.
- We could not automate IOS build process due to various complex steps and it requires lot of manual efforts to generate IOS build.
- Apple does frequent releases (for xcode, swift) which are not backward compatible, making it difficult for us.
- Rejection rate: Apple rejected around 20-30% of the apps, which is not good for our clients, after all the hard work they put in following the complex statements.
With dropping IOS support, we want to increase our focus on Android and we just released few important features with 18.00 version.
** If you already created IOS app, that should continue to work without any issues, but you will not receive any new updates on IOS from us.
This is to troubleshoot if push notifications are not working on IOS while they are working fine on Android.
Checkout this link first for push notifications are not working on Android app.
believing that your push notifications are working on Android, please check following to ensure they work for IOS
- Create auth keys(.p8 files) for push notification https://androapp.mobi/blog/create-apn-auth-keys-ios-push-notification/396 and upload them to your firebase project https://androapp.mobi/blog/upload-apn-auth-keys-firebase-project/402
- Check the bundle id used while creating app id and package name while creating firebase app for IOS
- if it is not the same, you need to create new firebase app with the bundle id used for app, update it in the account & settings tab, trigger an Android build (so that we get the new id at our server)
- send an email to us mentioning that you have changed firebase app id and would like to get the new app for the same.
Issue: Violation of Usage of Android Advertising ID policy and section 4.8 of the Developer Distribution Agreement
Even if you don’t use Advertising ID yourself and just use admob libraries, these libraries use this Advertising ID internally to show targeted Ads to your users.
- open the link https://app-privacy-policy-generator.firebaseapp.com/
- Enter details as below, replace PuzzlersWorld with your App Name
- Select Admob and Firebase Analytics on the right
- Click on Generate button
- Copy the text and create a page in your website
- Login to google play developer console: https://play.google.com/apps/publish/
- Select the App with issue
- Go to Store Presence -> Store listing and scroll to the bottom
- And click on Resubmit App button
- Please wait for 48 hours for Google to process the update
This is the trouble shoot doc for debugging on push notifications are not working on AndroApp via AndroApp wordpress plugin.
Go here, If your push notification are working for Android app and not working only for IOS app.
- Did you create Firebase Project Number and entered correct number in WordPress Dashboard? it should look like this 447538456741
- Did you enter the correct Google/Firebase API Keys(associated with the project number) and entered in WordPress dashboard? double check step 13 here https://androapp.mobi/blog/setup-firebase-cloud-messaging/182
- Did you enter Firebase App ID? ex. 1:447538456741:android:2efde8542de19a66
- Did you enter the correct package name while creating your firebase project (step 6 ), please enter the package name you see in the email from us, ex. package name: mobi.androapp.bwerbvo.c9601
- Did you try SelfPush feature from AndroApp->Push Notifications tab? Try by checking Send Immediate checkbox and share the logs with us.
- Did you try sending push notification by enabling/disabling Bulk Send feature?
- Did you wait for 30 minutes after installing the app?
- Did you check the status table in AndroApp->Push notifications tab? there are 2 tables Push Notifications in Queue & Push Notifications Statistics, if you don’t select Send Immediate checkbox (Also when you publish a new post), you should see your notifications in Push Notifications in Queue table. Which are tried after 15 minutes when your cron runs.
- If you see UnAuthorized in the Send Immediate logs, double check your Google API Keys, it is wrong.
- Do you see this in the Androapp->Push Notifications tab?
We will suggest to try all above and if you still have issues in sending push notifications, please drop us an email with following details
- Your website link & apk link which you tested
- google-services.json file
- Screenshot of AndroApp->Account Settings tab
- Logs for the trial of Send Immediate
- Screenshot of both push notification table (it should have both entries with/without Bulk Send enabled)
- Does it work when using Send Immediate but not if you don’t select or it does not work in both the cases?
- Login to appstoreconnect.apple.com
- Go to MyApps and select the app you want to test
- Select TestFlight tab and select your build you uploaded
- IF you see yellow icon with missing compliance, click on the build
- Now click on Provide Export Compliance Information button
- Select No, in Export Compliance Information (your app does use HTTPS though, to make call to https://androapp.mobi but does not use any IOS, macOS encryption)
- Click on Add Testers to build OR create a new group was clicking on + icon
- Provide information of tester like email, firstname and lastname
- Enter your details, email, contact information and click on Next
- uncheck the sign in required
- Enter the information about the build, ex what to test and click on Submit for Review
- Your testers will receive email to test, they can install the TestFlight app and test out the app
What is GDPR?
The General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) (EU) 2016/679 is a regulation in EU law on data protection and privacy for all individuals within the European Union. It also addresses the export of personal data outside the EU. The GDPR aims primarily to give control to citizens and residents over their personal data and to simplify the regulatory environment for international business by unifying the regulation within the EU.
It was adopted on 14 April 2016, and after a two-year transition period, becomes enforceable on 25 May 2018. The GDPR replaces the 1995 Data Protection Directive. Because the GDPR is a regulation, not a directive, it does not require national governments to pass any enabling legislation and is directly binding and applicable.
The GDPR extends the scope of EU data protection law to all foreign companies processing data of EU residents. It provides for a harmonization of the data-protection regulations throughout the EU, thereby making it easier for non-European companies to comply with these regulations; however, this comes at the cost of a strict data-protection compliance regime with severe penalties of up to 4% of worldwide turnover or €20 million, whichever is higher.
What does it mean for AndroApp?
To give our clients better experience, we at Androapp are using google analytics to capture crashes, renewal status and page hits for all the apps (apart from your own analytics). We as such are not collecting any personally identified information, however taking a cautious approach, we will disable this collection permanently.
[update]: We have disabled Google analytics from version 15.00 onwards
What does it mean for you?
For those who submitted your app through us (using android app account). As we don’t have control over your app content
- We will un-publish Android apps OR transfer it to your own google developer account, we have already communicated to relevant owners.
- FOR IOS apps, we will remove European union countries from the distribution, OR you can chose to resubmit the app from your own account.
We can not advise you as to whether you are GDPR compliant or not, you should consult your legal representative for the same.
However, we are working to give the best possible support to our partners to be GDPR compliant.
In general, you should check where all you are collecting user’s data, ex. Analytics, Ads (admob, appnext, admob, adsense others), push notifications, login forms, comments etc. and take appropriate action.
Versions used By AndroApp
We are using below versions in our last update 15.00 (in android)
AppNext 'com.appnext.sdk:ads:188.8.131.529' 'com.appnext.sdk:banners:184.108.40.2069' from AppNext team =>
Push Notifications com.google.firebase:firebase-messaging:15.0.2
Google Analytics and Admob 'com.google.android.gms:play-services-ads:15.0.1' 'com.google.android.gms:play-services-location:15.0.1' 'com.google.android.gms:play-services-analytics:15.0.2'
For any queries or suggestions please feel free to contact us on contact[AT]androapp.mobi.
You can follow these simple steps to add home menu option
- Login to your wordpress admin dashboard
- go to Appearance->Menus
- Select your app menu (which you selected in AndroApp->Configure tab
- Expand Custom Links
- Enter Your website link* in the URL textboax (exactly as it is in AndroApp->Look & Feel section
- Enter Home in Link Text textbox
- drag the home menu option to top
- Save Menu
- And restart your app, you should see Home menu option in your app menu
Note: * if you are using single post/page for your homepage, you might want to put that single post/page link instead
By default all of your website’s urls are opened in webview(i.e. in the app).
similarly, all external urls are opened in external browser by default.
We have added a feature to override this behavior, it is available since app version 11.02 (only in android version as of now).
Regex tricks which can be helpful
- Open all external links in app
- Open links from selected hosts in app
Enter https://puzzlersworld.com.*|https://shipmycard.com* in Regex to open external url in app textbox
above will open all the urls from https://puzzlersworld.com and https://shipmycard.com in app, you can add multiple hosts separated by pipes(|).
If you are wondering on how to test the regex, use this nice website to check if the urls matches the regex you want to use: http://www.regexplanet.com/advanced/java/index.html
for above example, we tested it by entering
we got this output for above input
you can see that it evaluates to true for 1,2 & 4, that means regexes matches for the url’s in 1,2 & 4 and these url’s will be opened in app.
- Open some link from your site in mobile browser
Lets say we have an app created for https://bestsmswishes.com website and we want to open this link https://bestsmswishes.com/there-is-no-better-friend-than-a-sister/ in external browser, instead of in the app itself.
i will enter https://bestsmswishes.com/there-is-no-better-friend-than-a-sister/ in Regex to open your website url in mobile browser textbox
- Open all of your websites pdf links in mobile browser
enter .pdf* in Regex to open your website url in mobile browser textbox
This is a great way to handle some of your links differently, we will recommend playing around with the regex tool to handle your cases , once again here is the link for your reference: http://www.regexplanet.com/advanced/java/index.html